Friday, September 08, 2006

Your Level of Commitment

"...he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." (James 1:8)

"Beck, one thing that concerns me about you is your stability." Those words of a particular pastor cut deep in my heart over six years ago but changed my life forever. His words were true, I was becoming unstable. But was it my fault? Events in my past had molded me to be this way. Jumping from one place to another, from one church to another, from one school to another, from one "belief" to another....unstable....double-minded in ALL I did. I decided whether my fault or not that I was going to do something about that! I wanted to be a stable person!

Show me a person who "church hops" or who "flakes" and I will show you a person whose WHOLE life is unstable,whose marriage is unstable,whose jobs are unstable,whose relationships have been and will be unstable.

But you show me a person who is totally committed to God and where God has planted him and I will show you a stable person, a stable marriage, stable relationships, etc.

Seem a bit harsh? Maybe not harsh enough! What does the word commitment mean to us? Does it mean staying in a marriage or in a job or in a church commited enough until someone or something makes us mad? Until the pastor does something we don't agree with? Until we don't get our way? Until the boss man "does us wrong"?
Let me say this, if one does not love people, have deep character, and a true level of commitment the ministry is not for him or her! Yes, regardless of the gifts or annointing one may possess!

Over three years ago when I first arrived at Life Church West Monroe I felt the Lord impress in my spirit, "I am going to teach you how to be faithful and committed." By remaining faithful to where God has planted me (Life Church) and by knowing my place (completely submitted to my Pastor) my life has become stable. Funny how when you get these traits in order the rest of your life gets in order. I refuse to live my life unstable any longer! I refuse not to get in me an unshakable level of commitment! You see that is what it takes! Commitment! Commited people! Commited churches!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beck,
I have watched you develop into a real man of God. When we ordain you this December, it is going to be an honor for me. You have uncovered a great key with the commitment and faithfullness value. Stay the course!

Anonymous said...

Bro.Joel,

Thank you for helping me develop. Thanks for ALL you and Angel have done for Jodi and I.

Anonymous said...

Beck!
Great post! See you wednesday! Let me know if you need anything!