Monday, May 08, 2006

The Power of Encouragement

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." (Hebrews 3:13)

A few years ago I was going through a tough time in my spiritual walk when my sister gave me an envelope. Inside that envelope was a card with a page filled with sentences. Now, they weren't just ordinary sentences but sentences that contained words of encouragement! After reading that card I can remember feeling so empowered and encouraged.

Why does the Bible tell us to encourage one another daily? Because I believe the enemy does his best (either through your mind or people) to beat down believers on a daily basis! He knows if he can discourage believers he can weaken them.

In Acts Chapter 4 it tells of a man by the name of Barnabas which meant "Son of Encouragement." Did you know you can have a ministry of encouragement? There are people that need encouraging on a daily basis whom YOU have the power to refresh and encourage! The words you speak to them could change their whole day, week, or possibly life! "He who refreshes others will he himself be refreshed!". If you find yourself feeling down, go find someone that needs encouragement and you might findyourself being the one encouraged!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was my devotional today, May 10th. I guess I need to go encourage people. I'm glad I was able to encourage you back then and I hope I still am able to encourage people when they need it and even when they don't. It was great to see you and Jodi this past weekend. Once again, I will see you this coming weekend...and the next...and the next...and the next...whoo hoo!