Friday, February 15, 2013

Spiritual Orphans


An "orphan" is one defined as a person without protective affiliation, sponsorship, etc. One bereft of parents, not authorized, supported, or funded. One who is not part of a system, one who is isolated or abandoned.. The United States is a wonderful country in which I am extremely thankful to be a citizen. I am PROUD to be an American and to have the opportunity to raise my family in this great country. Through the years the United States has been the world leader in so many different areas. However, there is an area in which America leads that is not so praise worthy--fatherless. The United States is the world leader in fatherless homes (if there is another study out there that proves otherwise, please feel free to correct me.) Young men that grow up in fatherless homes are: five times more likely to commit suicide, thirty-two times more likely to run away, twenty times more likely to have behavioral disorders, and nine times more likely to drop out of school. As you can see, the result of fatherless homes is DEVASTATING not only to a home, but to the children in which it produces--DEVASTATING! As sad as this is, the same can be true in the "spiritual sense". There are not only children growing up without physical moms and dads, but spiritual children trying to make it without "spiritual moms and dads"--"Spiritual Orphans".

"I am not writing these things to shame you, but to warn you as my beloved children. For even if you had teen thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you. So I urge you to imitate me." (I. Cor. 4:14-16)

Not only did Paul visit Corinth, he also maintained regular contact with the church in Corinth through letters, sending representatives, etc.

When someone is "born-again", they become the "children of God" and are to be discipled. These disciples are then in turn are to "make disciples" as well. Many people don't understand how to make disciples because they themselves have not BEEN discipled.

The first portion of Jesus' last words before he ascends to heaven is, "Go therefore and teach all nations..." The word "teach" here, "math-ayt-yoo'-o" means to be a disciple of one, to follow his precepts/instructions, to make a disciple, and to teach/instruct.

I believe a big portion of the "discipleship" process is through mentoring.

A mentor can be defined as, "a wise and trusted counselor or teacher, an influential senior sponsor or supporter." 

A few things mentors can provide is:

1. Relationship
2. Instructions, directions, and training
3. Replication
4. Modeling

1. Relationship

    One of the biggest keys in mentoring someone else or being mentored by someone else is "relationship". When we take an interest in someone else's well-being or "growth" we long to be in contact and relationship with them.

    You can provide instruction, direction, and training to someone, but what makes all of that so powerful and transferable in all of that is the power of the influence that comes from the relationship!

Look at the way Paul addresses Timothy and Titus.

"I am writing to Timothy, my true son in the faith." (I. Timothy 1:2) Again in I. Timothy 1:18, "Timothy, my son..." and again in 2. Timothy 2:1 when he says, "Timothy, my dear son..." In Titus 1:4 he addresses this young man in the following way, "I am writing to Titus, "my true son in the faith." Again, these are intimate words that Paul is taking ownership in when he says, "my" and "dear".

Consider how he addresses Philemon in regards to Onesimus in Philemon 1:10. "I appeal to you to show kindness to my child, Onesimus. I became his father in the faith while here in prison."

Yes, although he was physically away from his child Onesimus, Paul still loved deeply Onesiumus and took a major interest in his well-being spiritually.

2. Instruction, direction, and training.

A mentor is someone who takes an interest in a life or lives, is able to provide instruction, direction, and training.

"Timothy, my son, here are my instructions for you, based on the prophetic words spoken about you earlier. May the help you fight well in the Lord's battles." (I. Timothy 1:18-18)

"As for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching. Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have sound faith and be filled with love and patience. Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. 

In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. (Titus 2:1-7)

In the above, we see that instruction and training is necessary when it comes to mentoring and making disciples. Many believers don't know what to do or how to do it because they've never been taught or shown. Do you know how many young men and women are out there that are LONGING for an older, wiser person to spend time investing in them? LOTS!

3. Replication

"You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others." (2. Timothy 2:2)

In other words, teach others what you yourselves have been taught. Make disciples who will make disciples! Jesus spent time with the 12 who would in turn make disciples of others!

There is a man I have brought alongside of me the past few years that I got involved in a mentoring program. What is he doing now? Mentoring other young men! Where did I get a heart for mentoring from? Men who spent time mentoring me! The "replication" process just continues to be passed down! These older mentors of mine didn't mentor the men I mentored; they just simply mentored me and I in turn mentored others!

4. Modeling

"As for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching." (Titus 2:1)

"Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God." (Titus 2:3)

"That's why I have sent Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of how I follow Christ Jesus, just as I teach in all the churches wherever I go." (I. Cor. 4:17)

Through the years, I've had tons of verbal instruction from older men that have "stuck with me". However, many times more is "caught than taught". Whenever those men would let me into their "world" or their "home"I "caught" so many things by observing their lifestyle! There must be verbal teaching, but there also must be lifestyles of godliness and examples that are modeled as well!

Are you being mentored? Do you have a desire to mentor others? 

1. Who is "in your world" that you can mentor? Start there.
2. Mentor those who have a desire to be mentored or ask someone to mentor you.

There are many out there that long to have a "spiritual mom and dad".

Blessings,

Beck








1 comment:

Terry Taylor said...

Amen! Mentoring is certainly not the quick and easy method but it is effective and if you stay with it long enough and see it carried successfully through several levels it can produce an amazing number of disciples. We must always remember that the "church" of today started with Jesus and twelve guys He was mentoring!