Thursday, February 14, 2013

In Father's Arms

For the first 9 1/2 years of our marriage, Jodi and I lived in a beautiful area far out in the country. We were the only house on the road and the driveway leading up to our property was 300 yards long. On my 30 minute drive home each day, I could not wait until I would turn off the main road unto our drive, to see my kids anxiously waiting on the porch of our home for their daddy. Most days, they were not only waiting for me, but would actually RUN up to my vehicle jumping up and down awaiting me to pick them up to wrap them in my arms. This would fill, not only THIS dad's heart with joy, but ANY true father's heart with joy!

Do you and I passionately pursue our Heavenly Father? Does our souls long to run into His arms and embrace Him?

"So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father". (Romans 8:15)

As an earthly father, my Heavenly Father has given me so much insight to HIS heart. "Beck, do you know what it does to MY HEART when I see MY CHILDREN joyfully pursuing ME?" WOW! If I, an earthly father, understand the joy of seeing my children pursue me, how much more joy does it bring to our HEAVENLY FATHER, when we pursue Him! The amazing thing is, he not only awaits our pursuit of Him, but he actively pursues US!

Consider the parable of the lost son, or more popularly known as, "The Prodigal's Son".

When the way-word son came to his senses he said, "I will go home to my father and say, "Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant." So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him." (Luke 15:18-20)

Have you "strayed"  away from the safety of your Heavenly Father's arms and long to come back? Have you done some things that you now realize were foolish? I encourage you today, to confess your sins, repent of them, and run to your Heavenly Father! You very well may catch him running directly to you!

"Draw near to God and he will draw near to you." (James 4:8)

Parents-the best thing we could model in front of our earthly children is for them to see us running to our Heavenly Father. Do they see us actively pursuing God?

Just as our Heavenly Father pursues us, do we pursue the hearts of our children/teenagers?

My prayer today, is that you would find yourself embraced in the "Father's Arms". Take some time today to embrace your children/teenagers as well!

No comments: