Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A word to the older generations

A word to the older generation

I’ve heard many older or elderly people make the comment, “I’ve got nothing left to give”, “I’m past my prime”, or “Nobody would listen to me anymore.” They have lived a whole life building up reservoirs of wisdom and understanding learning both from their good and not so good choices. Here they are towards the later part of their life and are they suppose to be pushed to the side? Now, that they are older are they to be “put on the shelf” to be remembered no more? Is there nothing the younger generations could learn from our “mothers and fathers” in the faith?
David was nearing the end of his life. He was well past the “giant slaying” years. Many had said of David that the Lord had left him; he had become weak physically, and now was their chance to get him.

David had been pouring out his soul to God and in Psalm 71:17-18 he says, “O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood…”
In other words, I’ve walked with God my whole life and I have a lifetime of lessons that I learned from God almighty—He has been faithful!
He goes on to say, “and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do.” Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God.” David was saying that he is always telling others about all that God had done for him in his lifetime and that yes, although he faced the fact that he was old now, he was saying, “God, I’m not done!” “God, just because I’m an old man that doesn’t make me a worthless old shoe to be thrown out!” “God, just because I am old please don’t abandon me! I may not be able to walk like I use to walk, I may not be able to fight the way I use to fight, but Oh, God I still can proclaim your great wonders to other people!
Listen, he says, “Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.”

Older generation let me tell you, just because you are older now does not mean that you have become useless to God and worthless to His kingdom! Look, you are just now in a position to pour back to others all that you have “mustered up” in your lifetime! There is a generation of believers coming up after you that desperately needs to hear your story! There is a generation of believers coming up after you that desperately needs to hear about the wonders of God Almighty! You have the stories to tell! You have the wisdom and the understanding that we need! Please don’t keep silent and allow all that you have been through to become wasted! Tell us your stories! Tell us about God’s mighty hand in your life! Hand off the baton of faith to the upcoming generation! God is not through with you yet! God is not abandoning you to your old age! You open your mouth to all who will listen and tell about the mighty miracles and wonders of the God you have served!

1 comment:

LP said...

Very good point...young or old...God can always use you!