Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm in a hurry

Let me ask you a question. When was the last time you sat down as a family and ate a meal around your kitchen table? Let me ask you another question. How often do you or do you not do that as a family?

I can remember as a kid waking up almost EVERY single morning to a sit down meal together as a family and then doing the same when dinner rolled around. Sadly, that doesn't happen too often these days. Why? Because our society is one of fast pace and it is a train "blowing and going." Families are usually swinging by McDonalds or Sonic "fastfoods" because that caters to our lifestyle-fast. Now, we stay as busy as the next person and ministry never stops so I'm not condemning families that swing through the fast food line every here and now-we do that. What I am saying is that it takes a family being intentional enough to stop the madness, slow down, and enjoy each other. What's wrong with swinging by and grabbing a burger every night? Well, there is something very spiritual about sitting down and eating a meal together. The Bible is FULL of that. So much conversation can go on around the dinner table at HOME. Also, it is great for a mother/daughter or family to cook the meal themselves. I love coming home and seeing Jodi and Gracen in the kitchen together. Why? Again, so much conversation and relationships can happen when families do just that. To see them building a mother/daughter relationship and Jodi teaching her things she will need to know to take care of her family the rest of her life makes my heart glad!

The country group, "Alabama", sang a song years ago entitled, "I'm in A Hurry". Some of the lyrics go:

"I'm in a hurry to get things done
(oh,) I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But, I'm in a hurry and don't know why

I hear a voice
It says I'm running behind
I better pick up the pace
It's a race and there ain't no room for someone in 2nd place

Throughout the rest of the summer, slow down and enjoy each other!

Beck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Post..
I am thankful to know we actually do eat together most nights and very rare to eat in the living room.
But I do know the song well.. hard to slow down life, but do try.. gotta treasure family and friends and enjoy life and not get caught up with the craziness of life!

Enjoyed seeing ya'll Saturday!!

Jeannie

Sherry said...

Good and Godly information! Keep it up, Beck! We are going to realize what matters for eternity and our families are our most valuable treasure.God bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Amen Uncle Beck!!! Wonderful!!

LP