Monday, October 26, 2009

Life's Disappointments


In over eighteen years of deer hunting I've only missed ONE opening morning of rifle season (the first year I ever hunted) and never have missed an opening morning of muzzle loader. Well..that first morning came this past Saturday. All day Friday I had sighted in my muzzleloader and did prep work to get me ready for Saturday morning. The weather was to be PERFECT! I was so very excited! Earlier in the week I spent all morning and night taking care of Jodi and Gracen who had a horrible stomach bug. Thankfully I hadn't gotten it! After coming in Friday night from a squirrel hunt down by the house my stomach started making funny sounds. The rest is history. Hugged up by the toilet at 3:30 AM I knew my hopes of the morning hunt were done. For six hours my best friend was 7-UP, a wet rag, and the toilet (not to mention my good wife). I woke up about 8:30 walked on the porch and was again sick (this time emotionally) as I watched the gorgeous morning and knew the deer had to have moved by my stand. As the day grew I began feeling so much better. About 4:30 PM I grabbed the "smoke pole", my camo bag, and my NLT and headed for my "Church Stand" as I call it. About an hour in I had two doe come out and one had my name on it. After going back to the house to pick up "Champ" my old trusted Yellow Black Mouth Cur we went in to retrieve the deer. After what seemed to be such a disappointing morning turned in to a "dream" fulfilled.

The Bible says in Proverbs 13:12 "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life."

So many folks hopes and dreams have been put off due to life's situations. A promise of God that seems to go unfulfilled. A God given vision that seems to go unfulfilled. A "turn" in life that was unexpected. All of these have a way of "making our heart sick" at times. You never know when that "hope" to be fulfilled is waiting around the corner. When that promise of God is just days from being fulfilled. When that "unanswered prayer" is only hours from being answered. When that God given vision is only an arm length away. Learn a lesson from the deer hunt.

No comments: