Monday, August 25, 2008

A lesson from Jury Duty

Jury Duty. It is something that we all want to avoid and any time we get that summons in the mail we automtically start thinking of ways to get out of it. I got that little sheet of paper in the mail not long ago and was chosen to serve on a jury in an aggravated rape case. This was a charge that if convicted would put this person behind bars for the rest of his or her life. I sat in a court room for six long days to see and hear things I wish to never see and hear again as long as I live. Based on the evidence or lack of evidence that was placed before me I was to judge this persons actions. I can’t begin to describe the overwhelming burden that I felt on my shoulders and the accountability to God that I sensed. Feeling torn all week about a man who was charged with a hideous crime and on another hand thinking of the victims that were involved is enough to keep a person up at night. I can’t explain how humbled I was when Saturday came around to place our verdict. I then realized how incapable and unworthy I was to judge a humans life here on earth let alone an eternal verdict. What if we were wrong? What if we did miss something? All I know is one day there is a King who sits upon a throne and He will judge each and every one of our lives. This Judge will deliver a verdict that will be 100% accurate! Completely fair! No guessing! No questioning! Jesus Christ is worthy to judge our lives!

“Remember, we will all stand before the judgement seat of God.” (Romans 14:10c)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well written and well presented, what a great anaogy