Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Gospel still saves!

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.” (Romans 1:16)

When you read the above verse, does the word “it” stand out to you? What is “it”? “For I am not ashamed of the gospel for “it” is the power of God for salvation…” So what is “it” in the above verse that is the power of God unto salvation? “It” is the gospel! The gospel is still enough and always will be sufficient!

Now I am so thankful for all modern technology and tools that we have to help reach people for the kingdom and even Paul tried to find “common ground” with folks but we still must realize the gospel is what saves!. 1 Corinthians 9:19-22: says, "I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. . . . To those not having the law I became like one not having the law . . . so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

We still must be loyal to the gospel and we must never forget that the gospel (“it”) is still the power to save! Not our tools nor our methods! Not our human invented ways! The gospel is the power! The gospel convicts us of sin! The gospel is what sets us free!

I. Corinthians 1:23 says, “but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness…”

Sounds too simple doesn’t it? Our own human efforts can save nobody!

“For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” (I. Corinthians 1:17)

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ-- this Jesus whom you crucified. Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" (Acts 2:36-37)

When the gospel is preached “it” (the gospel) truly sets us free! The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ!

No comments: