Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"I was in prison and you came to visit me."

These were the words of our Savior from the 25th chapter of the gospel according to Matthew. Some people have a hard time getting to Jesus so we have to bring Jesus to those people! They are: the lost, the hurting, the poor, the captives and those imprisoned.

I have had the wonderful opportunity the past several years to minister with Ricky Nolan who is the founder of Hope Street Ministries. Last night we ministered to a room full of people most of which were hanging on to our every word.

I opened up out of Ephesians 6 and spoke to them about the full armor of God. You know although we all are different in many ways, including some of our backgrounds, race, denominations, or various other things, we all have one thing in common;we are all in a spiritual battle! After I spent 15-20 minutes ministering Bro.Rick came in behind and wrapped up. It was a great meeting!

We had anywhere between 20-30 inmates respond to the word of the Lord. I had one young man come forward weeping over his life and how it has been shattered. His words were, "My heart is hurting." My prayer was that Jesus would begin to heal him, pick up the pieces, and give him a new heart!
One of the most common prayer requests we hear involves many of the inmates families. My heart goes out to them as I can't imagine starring at a bland ceiling every night wondering how my family is doing while I was locked up.

It is so important that we listen very closely to what the Lord is saying. Sometimes, our lives could depend on it! My heart rejoices for those that listen and respond but breaks for those we saw that sat back and spent their time doing other things. Nevertheless, we have to keep going and reaching out because one day, they just might respond!

For example, several years ago Bro.Rick was ministering and every time he would go he would see a young man starring at him through the thick glass window in a cell waving for him to come over. The young man was going to serve life in prison but had given his heart to Christ while incarcerated. One night Bro.Rick gave an altar call and this young man came forward for prayer. Rick said in all his years ministering at this facility he's never given a word quite like this nor has he since. He prayed for this young man and said, "Thus says the Lord God, "Son, they've laid a trap for you and if you accept any of the deals you will spend life in prison." Walking away almost puzzled the young man didn't quite understand but knew somehow it was true. As time passed, it was time for the young man to go before the judge. They offered him...5 deals and he declined them all. People told him that he was a fool for not accepting any of these deals! After 24 months of time served the judge spoke, "I believe your life is changed...you are free to go on time served." His father who was convicted of the very same thing...received a life sentence. He had accepted one of the deals.

Point being, what if he had not responded that night? What if he would have thrown the word of the Lord to the side? What if Rick would have not been obedient to bring forth the word God had given him? I believe it changed this young mans destiny! He is now serving God full-time in the ministry at a local church!

I encourage you to remember those who are incarcerated. Jesus loves them and died for them as he did for any of us. He still has a plan for their lives! To Him be the glory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beck,
I know how much you enjoy preaching at the prisons. We are truly blessed to know a man such as Rick. I am so thankful that you have the opportunity to serve "the poor." I know God looks down on you with a great big smile. You are a blessing!

Beck Payne said...

Thanks Jodi. I appreciate you being so patient with me. Thanks for waiting up last night for me to return.C-ya in a bit.