Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Greatness of knowing Christ

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things." (Philippians 3:7-8)

Paul was a man whose life was radically changed by the power of Christ. Before Christ, Paul was known as Pastor Joel put it, "a present day Bin-Laden". He was a very "religious" man who was faultless as far as the law was concerned. If there was an award given for being "religious" Paul would have won it. But knowing God is not about being "religious" it's about having an intimate relationship! It's not about what you look like on the outside, it's about having Christ living on the inside of you!

Paul said that nothing compares to knowing Christ! As a matter of fact, he considered everything else a loss compared to knowing Christ! Sadly, many people have forsaken knowing Christ instead to run after other things. Relationships, money, social status, are just a few things that people allow to compare to knowing Christ and compete with a relationship with him.

Paul said "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11)

How badly do you want to know Christ? What competes with Christ in your life? What competes to take the place of the relationship with him? Is it worth it? Remember, nothing compares to the greatness of knowing Christ Jesus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beck,

Great post! You are doing an awesome job. Sorry i had to beat you tonight on NCAA PS2 but after that comment Sunday....well you had it coming!

Joel

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bro.Joel!

Bro.Joel, you did get lucky and beat me by 14 the first game (after I came back from a 30-3). But, if I recall correctly, I won 2 games after that. You hit the "Do over" button, then I beat you by 30! Come on now!

Anonymous said...

Amen to your blog!