Wednesday, April 12, 2006

God wants spiritual fruit not religious nuts

I heard that statement years ago and have been asking God to help me develop spiritual fruit in my life since then as stated in Galations 5:22.
For far too long my spiritual life may have seemed "lopsided" as I tended to focus more on the spiritual gifts God had given me instead of the spiritual fruit I needed to develop in my life. I use to pray and fast with passion asking God to give me ALL of the spiritual gifts Paul talked about in I. Corinthians 12. While there is nothing wrong with that (given the motives are to glorify God and build up the church) I tended to neglect some very important issues.
I'm all for spiritual gifts and flow in the spiritual gifts God has given me but not at the expense of some very important things.
Paul tells us to "Eagerly desire spiritual gifts." (I. Cor. 14:1) and that "all these things must be done to strengthen the church." (I. Cor.14:26)
One day in prayer, I heard the holy spirit speak to me and say, "When was the last time you fasted and prayed for the love of God?"Wham! Wow! How humbling!
You see although God does desire to give us spiritual gifts, he does not want the gifts to be given at the expense of the love of God or the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives. You see the gifts of the Holy Spirit are irrevocable and can be given without repentance (Romans 11:29). If we are not operating the gifts carefully in the love of God we endanger others and can abuse the gifts God has given us to use for his kingdom.
I encourage you to use the gifts God has given you but more importantly ask God to help you develop the fruit of the Holy Spirit in your life.
Remember, gifts are given but fruit is developed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Hey~
Beck, thats so true and awesome. You have a gift for writing , I can see a book of your own in the future!!! By the way, last night was awesome, I'm so glad to have a youth pastor like you. Your always ready and willing to serve, and always available! I love you and Jodi so much! Thanks for taking the time, and sacrificing to be there for us!!!

Anonymous said...

tremendous wisdom for such a young man. Clarice Fluitt told me one time for me not to waste my suffering. Son, you have not wasted any of yours. Keep writing. Don't wait to put a book together. I should have had books put togehter years ago. I have at least 7 that should have already been written. The big difference in where you are and where I am is that you are 27 and I am 62. Do as much as you can when you are young. Getting older comes faster than you think. take advantage of every minute. and produce that fruit now. Just like your blog says. Gracen's arrival getting muighty close. YOur life and Jodi's life will change so much on that day. I love you dad

Anonymous said...

Beck,

I have to agree with both Hannah and your dad. You have a book or (books) inside of you. You are a very talented writer as well as communicator. Don't give up on your dream to be serving God full time one day. You have what it takes! I am so proud of you as a pastor. Glad to have you on my team!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys for the positive comments!