Wednesday, April 19, 2006

God in Prison

"Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' 45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' (Matthew 25:44-45)

I saw Jesus last night. I saw him as I drove up to the razor-bladed fence surronding the Union Parish Detention Center. I felt his presence as I walked up to the iron doors with my heart racing. I saw him as I saw several inmates on thier knees in a circle praying to God for the upcoming service. I saw Jesus as they approached me thanking us for coming, greeting us with big hugs and a "God bless you." I was continually having to fight away the tears as I prepared mentally and spiritually to give them the word of God. I knew in my mind that if it weren't for the grace of God I could and should be behind those bars with them.

It's been over a year since I've seen some of my brothers in Christ behind bars at UPDC. Some same faces, and some new. Prior coming to Life Church almost three years ago I worked with a good friend of mine by the name of Ricky Nolan who founded Hope Street Ministries. He's fed the poor (both spiritually and physically) in downtown Monroe for over 20 years now. I worked under Bro. Rick on the streets and in the prisons for over two years and this is where I recieved some valuable training and experience for the ministry.

I hooked back up with Bro.Rick last night for the first time in awhile and we "tag teamed" preached to the inmates in D.O.C. after we first sang praises to the Lord. It is amazing how strong God's presence was there. You see his presence is not confined to walls and although many have forgotten about these people, God has not. After the preaching of the word the inmates flooded to the front for prayer and encouragement. We prayed over them and spoke into their lives as God led us along.

Some of the most powerful services I've ever been apart of have been behind the walls of a prison. Why? I believe these people are desperate and hungry for God! "But once they get out won't they just end up back in?" We believe that the "truth shall set them free!" and they can live a victorious life in Christ!

Say a prayer today for those who are locked up. Many of them have come to know Christ behind bars and are now faithful servants of the Most High!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beck!
Thats awesome! I have been praying for tonights service all day, I believe it will be great!! your so awesome, keep up the good work!!!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are back preaching to those guys! I know they trust you and believe everything you tell them. I know it blesses you everytime. I'm sure you will be singing more songs again! haha Have a great night!

Anonymous said...

Beck,

You did an awesome job tonight in youth! Even with all those distractions! You are the best youth pastor ever!

Tell Jodi I said hey!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Bekah.You are such a sweetheart! I'm so thankful for you!

Anonymous said...

Brother Beck, keep on keeping on. I know the Lord will continue to bless you for your faithfulness to Him. Keep on freeing the captives!!!!