Monday, September 14, 2009

Street Ministry Recap

I've known Ricky Nolan now for almost ten years now and had the priviledge of him being in my wedding. It's been that long since I first showed up in South Monroe on the corner of Desiard Street under the I-20 Bridge to help out with Hope Street Ministries. I was laughing with someone this past Sunday about this street ministry being some of my "training ground" for preaching. I respect a man that has faithfully served the poor in downtown Monroe now for over 23 years. I great award awaits Bro. Rick in heaven. Because of my change of responsibilities and calling now I don't spend as much time on Sunday afternoons as I once did but when the clock strikes four every Sunday evening I know Ricky Nolan is tending to God's business down in the slums. Occasionally I bring some boys I mentor down on the "streets" to let them get a look at life from a different perspective. To view a different world they don't know much about. This past Sunday I "kicked off" the meeting on the streets with the "open air" style they are used to. Golden Goutreaux came in behind me to wrap it up. Afterwards we prayed for all who would receive it. Then my boys helped serve the people a nice warm meal.

Afterwards, I had a young girl stroll up to me in a wheelchair. It was a bit difficult to interpret her speech but her name was Sarah. Sarah was 6 years old and went to Calhoun Middle School. She was so excited to tell me that she had made a 100% on both her Social Studies and English tests! She asked me to pray for her as she prepares for her 7th Grade year. I was humbled at the joy this crippled girl possessed. I was amazed when I discovered Sarah has dreams of going to college. I held her hand and we prayed.

I asked my boys how many of them got to decide how, when, and where they were born. There response obviously was "we didn't". But by the grace of God you could have been born into a circumstance that your mind can't even imagine. We are all one bad choice away from receiving a meal under a bridge every week. We are not above any of it. We are no better. We are serving Jesus when we hand each man, woman, boy, or girl a hot meal and a "God Bless You". I could have very easily ended up in a bad, bad situation if God hadn't seen it fit to "rescue" me. I thank God he did. But to those who are "still out there" we must continue to serve them as if they were Christ. You can visit Hope Street Ministries website at my links portion to the right of this post.

Thanks Rick for "doing what you do".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know...I have been wanting to go back out there for a long time...and have been thinking about that her recently...good post and so true!!

LP