Sunday, August 30, 2009

What I want to pass on to my daughters

I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to shut my self in my office today after lunch to spend the afternoon with him up until Family Night. I love it when there is a special urging in my heart to be with him because I know there is something(s) he wants to share with me.

It is amazing the things God teaches us through different "life stages." Being a parent now there is so many things God has been teaching me through parenting. I guess so since he is the perfect Father. It seems that I get a little bit clearer picture of the great responsibility that he has given us as parents to raise sons and daughters who will walk with God. My wife and I have but a short time to pour into our children before they "leave our nest." I pray and ask God to reveal to my my daughters strengths and weaknesses so that I may pray more specifically for them. It is awesome to be able to see the fruit of the precious time Jodi spends with my girls. The countless hours of teaching and training them. Then to see them begin to duplicate what they've learned. She has and is doing such a great job as a mom taking care of the family. During some of my time I had with the Lord today I wrote down several things I would like to pass on to my daughters. I will share a few with you:

1) To live a life of dedication and worship to God. I want them to realize that serving God isn't just a "set time" each today. But serving God is a 24/7, all day every day relationship. One that consumes us!

2) To live a life of prayer. It is cute to see Gracen pray for her food, or before bed, or for her baby dolls ,but I pray there comes a day where there is a burning fire in her heart to seek the father through prayer. To learn to go to her knees and fight when the enemy is prowling. To believe and understand the power of prayer.

3) To live by God's word. I pray they have a hunger to feast upon the word of God and hide it in thier hearts. I pray they realize his way is the only way to life. I pray they live by God's principles and standards regardless of the cost.

4) I pray they love family. I pray they will love the family in which they were raised and give their lives to the ones they will become apart of. I pray they will care for thier husbands, children, and homes.

5) I pray they will have a heart to give and to serve. I pray they will give self-lessly and serve others and family as they are serving Christ.

6) I pray they are quick to forgive. We will always be given the opportunity to become offended and unforgiving. Life is to short to live it in unforgiveness and eternity is too long to live with its consequences.

7) Courage. I pray they have the courage to stay the course even when the course goes against the popular tides of the world.I pray they stay true to thier calling that God has on thier lives.

So how will I pass these things on to my girls?

1) I pray God will empower me to live these examples in front of them.

2) I pray for God's wisdom for me to teach them.

Thank you God for giving me the wonderful responsibility to pass the faith on to the next generation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good Beck. Thank you for sharing your heart. Your girls WILL be all those things that you are praying for because you and Jodi are and will be diligent to raise them for God's glory. We all need a blueprint of how to pray for our children sometimes. I know God wanted me to read this and live it out with my children too. Love you and your family, Mel

Aly Taylor said...

I pray these same things for my future children too. I have no doubt your children will do what you have prayed because they have great parents to look to and follow as you both follow Christ. I hope y'all have a great family night!

Anonymous said...

Mel, great hearing from you! Thanks for your comment!

Aly, thank you for always being so kind. Thanks for your encouragement.

Beck

Jodi said...

I could not ask for a better father for my girls! You are an incredible example for our children to follow.
I love you!