Thursday, August 06, 2009

Persistence in Prayer

Living out in the country I have always wanted two white rocking chairs to sit on my front porch. I know this sounds more like the desire of a 60 year old man rather than a 30 year old man but that's just me. I finally went and purchased two nice white rockers that I took home to try and assemble. After several hours of failure, cutting myself a few times, almost cussing once, and not being able to get the holes and arm rests to match up, I broke down and paid the store $10.00 to do it themselves!

How many times have we gone to God in prayer about something, not gotten an imediate answer, thrown in the towel, and just given up? One lesson I learned while in sales was persistence pays off!

One of my favorite presidents is Abraham Lincoln. Take a look of a common list of the failures (along with a few successes) of "Honest Abe."

1831 - Lost his job
1832 - Defeated in run for Illinois State Legislature
1833 - Failed in business
1834 - Elected to Illinois State Legislature (success)
1835 - Sweetheart died
1836 - Had nervous breakdown
1838 - Defeated in run for Illinois House Speaker
1843 - Defeated in run for nomination for U.S. Congress
1846 - Elected to Congress (success)
1848 - Lost re-nomination
1849 - Rejected for land officer position
1854 - Defeated in run for U.S. Senate
1856 - Defeated in run for nomination for Vice President
1858 - Again defeated in run for U.S. Senate
1860 - Elected President (success)

It also has been said that Thomas Edison when trying to invent the light bulb failed over 1,000 before he got it!

What if he would have quit at 999? What if Abraham Lincoln would have given up early on in life?

So many times we are knocking at the door of heaven for a great need in our lives and we give up when the answer is just right around the corner!


Jesus had a few things to say about persistence when it comes to our prayer life.

"Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: "Suppose you went to a friend's house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, 'A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.' And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, 'Don't bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can't help you.' But I tell you this-though he won't do it for friendship's sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence. "And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 11:5-10)

Or what about the Parable of the Persisten Widow in Luke 18?

"One day Jesus told his disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up. "There was a judge in a certain city," he said, "who neither feared God nor cared about people. A widow of that city came to him repeatedly, saying, 'Give me justice in this dispute with my enemy.' The judge ignored her for a while, but finally he said to himself, 'I don't fear God or care about people, but this woman is driving me crazy. I'm going to see that she gets justice, because she is wearing me out with her constant requests!" (Luke 18:1-5)

I don't know what situation you find yourself in today. Maybe you desperately need God to move in your life. Maybe there is a sick family member that needs a miracle! Maybe you have lost your job during this tough economic time. Maybe your son or daughter has strayed from the faith and you are believing God to draw him or her back.

I pray the words of Jesus would encourage you to fight, believe, and never give up while praying!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the rocking chairs! I enjoy sitting in mine with David. I need to repaint mine.
More memories to make in your rocking chairs! :)

jeannie