Monday, May 05, 2008

A lesson from my fig tree!

Since I have the privilege of living off the map in Luna, Louisiana I have all kinds of blessings I enjoy that ordinary "city folk" wouldn't have. Fig trees, gardens, mulberry trees, cats, dogs, deer, and about everything else you can think of. The fig tree right outside our kitchen window has been there for like 100 years and its gotten crazy out of hand! I took the time to do some "pruning" over the weekend and left the tree almost naked! Piles and piles of fig branches lay all over our yard! I ran to do an errand that day and about an hour later when I returned I noticed the fig limbs were noticeably drying and withering. You could tell that life had left them. Why? They had been cut off from there source. That fig tree reminded me that Jesus IS and always WILL BE our source of life and cut off and/or apart from Him we would wither away!So many times we try to be and do things on our own. We attempt to do things in the flesh without the Spirit of God leading us. When we go through our day not in prayer mindedness, without saturating ourselves in His presence, and without feasting on His word we have no life, dry up, and will wither away! May we always remember our source of life-Jesus Christ!

"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

No comments: