Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Cries of the Poor

"Those who shut their ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in their own time of need." (Proverbs 21:13)

As we enter into the time of year where giving is much more "expected" I am desiring not to just make "giving" seasonal in my own personal life but a consistent, continual lifestyle. One area I would like to see remain consistent is the giving to the poor. Notice in the above verse it refers to the "cries" of the poor. If a baby were "crying" out for help would we ignore him or her pitiful cries? How many times have the poor cried out among us for help and yet we ignored that cry? How many times have we arrogantly walked past them and turned our noses up at them as we pass them on the streets. How many self-righteous thoughts and actions have we showed by saying to ourselves, "They must be lazy" or "They probably blow it all on beer and cigarettes." How many times have we ignored the poor parents who work numerous hours to try to put food on the table for their children? I never want to hear the Lord say to my family, "Why did you hoard what I gave you upon yourselves when the poor cried out among you? How could I not trust you with the talents, gifts, and finances I so graciously poured out upon you. Did I not provide your every need? Were you not a vessel I could trust? What if one day we find ourselves in their shoes and we need the same help they do? Will we ourselves be ignored? Yes, we do become more aware of needs around us and we do tend to "give" more during the holiday seasons but what would happen if giving wasn't seasonal but a lifestyle?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good blog

Anonymous said...

Well Done!!

Anonymous said...

Beck,
As long as I have known you, you have always has a heart for the poor. I know that God is very proud of you in this area. You are a giver - just like your dad.
I am honored to call you my other half.
Love,
Jodi