Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Search my heart Oh God

Psalm 24:3-4 - Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. (RSV)

During my prayer time I was prompted to not only guard my heart but also to ask the Lord to search it. The worse kind of deception is self-deception; to think we are something when we are not or think we are not something when we are. I try to keep a pure heart before the Lord but especially before times of ministering the word of God I tend to really “dig deep.” After preaching to others I myself do not want to be disqualified.

The Bible says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” Jeremiah 17:9

Above all things the Bible says the heart can be the most deceitful! Who can know it? Who can truly see what is in your heart? Not others and certainly not ourselves at times but only God can! With that statement we must continually be asking God to search us and when things are revealed, ask him to cleanse us of all unrighteousness! We must continually offer ourselves as clean vessels unto God!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me... and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good advice, Brother Beck. And something we for sure need to hear over and over!