Thursday, May 24, 2007

Identity Crisis

I had the honor of ministering to the Junior High teens of E3 Student Ministries of Family Church last night. We spoke on "Identity Crisis" and learned a few points on identity from John the Baptist. I read a disturbing online article not long ago about a man who thought he was a woman trapped in his body. Now although you may not be having a "gender crisis" you may have an "identity crisis". Do you know who you are? Do you know who you are to become?

We can learn three things from the gospel of John 1:19-23.

1. John the Baptist knew who he was not.
  • "I am not the Christ. They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah? He said, " I am not." "Are you the prophet?" He answered, "No."

2. John the Baptist knew who he was.

  • "Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you have to say about yourself?" John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, "Make straight the way for the Lord.'
3. John the Baptist knew who he was to become.

Firstly, He knew he was not the Messiah or Eliajah. You know you and I can't glorify God by acting like someone else...other than Christ. God made us special and unique (as he did John the Baptist). We reveal our insecurities when we begin to talk like other people, dress like other people, and behave like other people whom we normally wouldn't. When temptation comes your way you better know what you are not anymore! I'm not like that! I've been changed! I've been delivered! That is not me anymore!

Secondly, John knew who he was. What about you? Do you know who you trully are? I've been looking in the mirror alot lately and I will say, "My name is Beck Payne. I am a man of God. Today, I will talk like a man of God, look like a man of God, behave like a man of God, and live like a man of God!!! Why? Because that is who I am! I am a child of the most high God! I am an instrumen of his love! I am a voice of truth to preach the whole gospel of Christ! Some of us don't know who we are anymore? We've followed other "things" and "ideas" and we don't even know who we are, who God has called us to be!

Thirdly, John knew who he was to become! He was to prepare the way of the Messiah! So what are you becoming? What has God called you to do? Are you doing it? Are you becoming what he is calling you to?

Be blessed!

Beck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good ole Andrew!

Anonymous said...

What a stud muffin you are!!!

Beck Payne said...

Geez, I wonder who these comments came from? Hopefully the last one was from my wife....Thank you Jodi.