Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Whatever happened to the Mothers and Fathers of the Faith?"

"Where are the Mothers and Fathers of the Faith?”

As I was praying tonight the spirit of the Lord led me to I. Timothy, II. Timothy, and Titus to point out some things that I also would like to point out to you.

“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope, To Timothy my true son in the faith:” I. Timothy 1:1-2 (italics mine)

Notice when Paul is addressing young Timothy he addresses him as his, “son”.

Again in I. Timothy 1:18 Paul says, “Timothy, my son…” (Italics mine)

Over in II. Timothy 1:2 Paul says, “To Timothy, my dear son:” (Italics mine)

In Titus 1:4 Paul refers to young Titus in the same way; “To Titus, my true son in our common faith;” (Italics mine)

So what is Paul speaking of here and why is he addressing these young men of God as, “sons”?

We find in I. Corinthians 4:15-17 where Paul is addressing the Church of Corinth and he says, “Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me. For this reason I am sending to you Timothy, my dear son whom I love, who if faithful in the Lord.” (Italics mine)

Paul both knew and understood the need for spiritual mothers and fathers of the faith. He knew in order to have “sons” and “daughters” there first had to be “Fathers and Mothers” who would produce these “spiritual children.” Whether Timothy and Titus were saved under Paul’s ministry or not the point is we do know that they became his “sons” through the gospel! Now are we speaking of natural kids here? No. We are speaking of spiritual kids, sons of the faith whom Paul fathered to become mature “sons”. You see it is one thing to “teach or instruct” someone but it’s another thing to “father” them. I can instruct you from a distance but when I father you I am in direct relationship with you.

You see when you are just merely “instructing” someone it may or may not be relational. When I was a kid my earthly “father” took care of me and raised me the best he knew how. There came a day when it was time for him to “let me go” and “release” me. What kind of father would he have been if he would have kept me confined to his house and not blessed me to go out into this world? He “equipped me” and “fathered” me the best he knew how and then he “released” me.

So why is there such a lack of spiritual mothers and fathers in the church of Jesus Christ in the year 2007? Jesus said plainly to, “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
He said disciple them, not control them! Serve them, not Lord over them!

See we aren’t just to have people give a show of hands who want to respond to the gospel and then send them on their merry way. No! We are then to disciple and father those whom God has given to us as sons and daughters!

I believe there are numerous sons and daughters in the faith who are looking for mothers and fathers to teach them! Who says older people don’t play an important role in the kingdom of God!?

Titus 2:3-5 says, “Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted too much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”

“Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is right.” (Titus 2:6)

Sons and daughters of the faith can’t learn affectively unless they are in relationships with mothers and fathers of the faith!

I heard a great evangelist once say, “The greatest thing you can be entrusted with is the soul of another human being.” So who has God entrusted to your care? How many sons and daughters of the faith are you raising? Maybe you are reading this and you are unable to have natural children, but be encouraged, God can allow you to raise up spiritual children!

The sons and daughters can’t follow until the mothers and fathers step up! Help us Lord Jesus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good Beck! This is a very true subject. May we all take this and learn from it - our own individual part.

Anonymous said...

Sons and daughters of the faith can’t learn affectively unless they are in relationships with mothers and fathers of the faith!