Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Forgiveness

As I pray and meditate about what God would have me minister on tonight in the jails, I am leaning on the subject of “forgiveness.” I personally believe Satan has used “un forgiveness” to keep many, not only in the world, but in the body of Christ in bondage. Un forgiveness binds us when we don’t deal with an “offense” or a “hurt” in our life. Paul even stated that in the last days people would be unforgiving.

The Bible says “See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many are defiled…” (Hebrews 12:15)

If we “miss the grace of God” and allow a root of bitterness to spring up, our lives will become defiled! I’ve seen the power of un forgiveness work in my own life and also in others. I’ve seen people go for years and not speak. I’ve seen ministers avoid each other in public places not speaking to one another because of an offense. I’ve seen grown adults walk in unforgiveness towards their parents over something that happened years and years ago. Many that sit in the church today harbor unforgiveness and it is wrecking their lives. I’ve seen unforgiveness eat people away from the inside out like a disease spreading like wildfire. We justify our unforgiveness because of the “wrongs” others have done to us and in our self-righteousness we are deceived!

So do we have a choice to forgive? What are the consequences if we don’t?

Let’s go to the word for answers.

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:19)

The key to overcoming the evil one and “resisting” him is by submitting to the word of God. Forgiveness! You can’t give something you haven’t first received yourself! “Freely you have received not freely give.”

I once was told a story by a Christian lady about how a person who had hurt her didn’t deserve her forgiveness and because of that, she will not forgive! After the Lord Jesus Christ has forgiven us of our miles of sin what right do we have not to forgive others!? This infuriates Christ!

Matt 18:23-35 tells us the parable of the unforgiving servant.

“Therefore the Kingdom of Heaven is like a certain king, who wanted to reconcile accounts with his servants. When he had begun to reconcile, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But because he couldn’t pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, with his wife, his children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down and kneeled before him, saying, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will repay you all!’ The lord of that servant, being moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt. "But that servant went out, and found one of his fellow servants, who owed him one hundred denarii, and he grabbed him, and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ "So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will repay you!’ He would not, but went and cast him into prison, until he should pay back that which was due. So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were exceedingly sorry, and came and told to their lord all that was done. Then his lord called him in, and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt, because you begged me. Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?’ His lord was angry, and delivered him to the tormentors, until he should pay all that was due to him. So my heavenly Father will also do to you, if you don’t each forgive your brother from your hearts for his misdeeds."

The Bible is very clear on this matter. If we don’t forgive others, Christ will not forgive us! I don’t know about you but I need to be walking in forgiveness!

If we want the world to know that Christ is a forgiving God than we need to begin forgiving others!

We need to start realizing the schemes that the enemy is trying to bring using “un forgiveness” by defeating him by walking in forgiveness towards others!

Today, will you choose to forgive or will you continue to be held in bondage? Let's defeat the devil by allowing the forgiveness of God to flow in and through our lives! Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome word Brother! Keep on allowing God to use you...

I know it touched my heart.