Thursday, March 22, 2007

"Until you've been there"

*Just some thoughts I had yesterday.


As I am writing this article, I am literally seeing distance from where the gospel is preached every Sunday afternoon and has been for the past 21 years. As I stare out my office window I am watching a man standing by a grocery cart that is being used to transport his belongings as he waits for the train to pass by. As I sit and watch, I can’t help but wonder…what happened? How did he end up in this condition? Life has “kicked his tail” and I don’t say that in judgment but in compassion because I don’t know where he has been or what he has been through. If I would have gone through some similar things, I myself may be in the same boat! I understand that if not for the grace of God I would be where he stands or worse! Does that make me any better? Absolutely not! It makes me thankful of the endless mercies of God!

My heart has always been for the outcast, the hurting, and the lost but the past few weeks God is enlarging my heart to have even more compassion on these people.

As it is far too easy for people to point a finger or watch in judgment as someone sits on a sidewalk strung out on drugs, we should maybe take another approach; until you’ve been there, maybe you don’t know what they’ve been through so don’t pass judgment on them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is true. So many times it is easy to forget where God has brought us all from. I know God smiles down at you loving the people I believe Jesus would be associating with if he were here on earth in flesh today.
Keep up the good work.