Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Spiritual Adultery

*The following is a tough word. Viewer discretion is advised.

*I received this word during a recent time of prayer and fasting.

“Spiritual Adultery”

Ezekiel 16:8-14;

“For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given to her to wear.” (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.) Then the angel said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” (Revelation 19:7-8)

The word of God many times uses marriage to illustrate the covenant we (the church) have with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Just as a bride (the church) would prepare herself (purify) for her husband (the groom-Jesus) and her wedding day (his coming) so you are calling your church to purify itself as a spotless and radiant bride (the church)!

When my wife and I united in “Holy Matrimony” we entered into a (blood) covenant. As a husband I am to be “dead” to every woman in this world but my wife. If I was to ever “look upon a woman in lust” I have committed adultery with her in my heart and am sinning against our covenant. If I was to ever “leave my bride” and become one with another I will have committed adultery. I do not want to do anything that would hinder, hurt, or betray my beloved bride nor would she do anything to betray the bridegroom!

The Bible says, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the vain glory of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”
(I. John 2:15-17)

“Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take Christ's members and make them the members of a prostitute? Of course not! (Or) do you not know that anyone who joins himself to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For "the two," it says, "will become one flesh."
“But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.”
(I. Cor. 6:15-17)


A very truthful but terrifying fact is the church has been flirting with another,(the world). In some instances you can’t tell the difference between the church and the world! I believe it was John Wesley who said, “We need to drive the world out of the church and drive the church into the world.” We’ve allowed the world’s thinking, concepts, and values to enter into the church instead of the church influencing the world! Have we committed adultery with the world? Have we “forsaken our first love?” Are we treading on dangerous ground?

As I have been reading an updated version on John Foxe's "Book of Martyrs", I can't help but have this revelation; These men of faith were martyred because of the word of God they preached and the faith that they had in the Lord Jesus Christ! The Bible says he is coming back for a spot-less, radiant bride! Not a cool bride! Not a hip bride! A spotless and radiant church! Lord, help prepare us! Lord, let us be one with you and dare not flirt with the spirit of the world! Forgive us where we have failed! Let us be reminded, this is your church not ours!

No comments: