Sunday, March 18, 2007

Good News to the poor...

We are about an hour or so away from bringing the gospel to downtown Monroe under the covering of Ricky Nolan of Hope Street Ministries.

As I pray and meditate on God's word I am so glad about something; I'm so glad that Jesus didn't mind "getting His hands dirty." You say, "Beck, What do you mean by that?" Jesus spent most of His ministry reaching out to "dirty" people; Prostitutes, Thieves, Liars, and folks that lived at the "bottom of the barrel." I myself am personally thankful that he reached down in the "dirt" and picked me up, cleaned me with His blood, and made me new!

You see we will take care of some of the poor's practical needs today by feeding them a warm meal but that in itself isn't the answer. Remember, Jesus said be as shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves (we do need to get them there some how). More than that we pray they will drink from His spirit and feed on his word!

In Acts 3 Peter and John were going to pray when they came across a crippled beggar wanting money.

"When he saw Peter and John about to enter he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

You see the man thought money would be his answer as do many people in the world do today. Some people may think another "hit" is the answer. Some think a man or a woman would do the trick. Maybe they think a good paying job, with benefits, and a great retirement is the answer to their life but there is only one answer and His name is Jesus!

You see we need to give people what they need not what they want!

May the Lord bring those we come across into the kingdom today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Extremely good article. It is hard to understand the dirty and outcast unless we have been there.