Monday, February 19, 2007

Street Ministry

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me..." (Matthew 25:35-36)

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor..." (Luke 4:18)

It was an honor to be back with Hope Steet Ministries this past Sunday afternoon. This ministry has faithfully preached the gospel and fed the homeless for 20 straight years now on the corner of Desiard and 6th Street in downtown Monroe, Louisiana. As I awaited the arrival of the man that heads this ministry up, you could see the people start coming out like deer do right before dark. (They have a tremendous amount of respect for this man. I can see why, he hasn't abandoned them in over 20 years.) They came out of abandoned houses, down the railroad tracks, on foot, on bikes, and from all across the downtown area. They come for a hot, fresh meal but they get much more than that; a hot, fresh word! It's challenging trying to preach over a train whistle and cop sirens!

What touches my heart more than anything is to see all the little children that come down to the streets. Instead of getting involved with the preaching or the handouts yesterday, I decided to visit with the little children. We prayed over a grandmother in a wheelchair that had about 3 of her grandchildren down there. As we prayed tears rolled down her cheeks. You could see the weariness in her face. Shes trying to raise these kids right, but it's tough in the year 2007.
After the preaching we prayed for several people, blessed the food, and fed them. This work is costly but the rewards are eternal! It's not popular, it's not flashy, but if Jesus were here in the flesh, I believe you would see him there.

Think we have it tough? All you have to do is go to downtown Monroe on a Sunday afternoon and think again! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! You are truly doing the work of our Lord. I know God is proud to call you his son!
Love you,
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hey Beck its BJ I will be there tonight only b/c of your support whether i continue going I do not Know see u later