Sunday, June 04, 2006

Dixie Diehard Saturday

We had a great Life Church WM showing at the Biedenharn Baseball Complex in West Monroe this past Saturday for the Dixie Diehard's game.

Dixie Diehard's is a baseball leauge for kids with either physical or mental disabilities (usually both) that require the help of a "buddy" to assist him or her in playing the game. It's very humbling assisting someone that is almost totally reliable on your help and protection. These kids aren't worried about the score or how many hits they got during a game, they are only interested in having a good time. This game also gives the parents of the disabled kids a chance to be a "parent" for about two hours as they have a break while someone else is helping with thier kids.

I couldn't help but notice as I was standing out in the field with my "buddy" the baseball field next to us. The game that was being played there was quite different than the one I was involved in. I watched as "normal" kids were hitting and fielding on thier own while thier parents watched proudly in the stands. I couldn't help but wonder how that made the parents of the kids I was involved with feel. Questions like, "Why my kid?" or "I wonder what it's like to sit in those stands?" may have crossed thier minds. If it did I couldn't tell because these parents were just as proud or prouder of thier "disabled" kids.

We overheard a grandmother saying to her grandson, "It is only by God's blessing that you aren't in those other kids shoes." We were surprised to hear the grandkids response, "Grandmother, I think they are the ones that are trully blessed."

Maybe we can learn something from these very special individuals.

Thanks for a great showing Life Church!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, It is always so much fun to be involved with something like that! I am so sorry I couldn't make it, maybe I can next time.